Monday, September 20, 2010

Journal, Page One - Keys

From the Nerd-tastic Journal...

Date: November 15, 2008
Place: Local Arena.

God bless the iPod. What do you do when you're forced to sit in freezing cold plastic bleachers and watch a hockey game that holds no interest for you? Sit with Kortlynn on your left and Jenn on your right, both sharing their iPods. When you have Paramore and Linkin Park blaring in one ear, and Mozart and Taylor Swift blaring in the other, let me tell you, that is one interesting experience. And it definitely drowns out a screaming crowd.

God bless the iPod.

But noteverything was made to last, and before long, us nerds were struggling to find a means of amusement after cell phone batteries died, and every playlist had been scrolled through. So when Jenn had to leave for an appointment, we seized our chance to get out of the dreaded arena.

Yet, much to our dismay, teachers were guarding the door with blank expressions, and us goodie two shoes weren’t about to tick them off. So when Jenn left and they were staring suspiciously at us despite our reputations, we headed toward the bathroom.

Standing in the grungy, dirty, likely-rarely-cleaned facilities, Kortlynn discovered a locked box with a plexiglass front, and became interested out of sheer boredom. The only contents of the locked box were a fuzzy topped pen and a chart on a piece of paper displaying the dates the bathroom had been cleaned. I took a glance at the numbers. Sept. 1, 2008. Nice. It’s November.

Kortlynn stared with intense interest at the lock.
“What are you doing?” I asked.
“I wanna see if I can get it open...” she muttered. I rolled my eyes, and went to warm my freezing cold hands under the dryer.

For a good ten minutes, Kortlynn fiddled and tugged and twisted the flimsy, cheap lock. But she couldn’t get it open.
“Does anyone have, like you know, a bobby pin that, like, they don’t want back?”
We all shook our heads and chuckled. Kortlynn glared, but the corners of her mouth twitched to a smile, and she continued to fiddle with the lock while we all made conversation amongst each other.

After a while Karlene announced that it was almost time to leave with a glance at her watch. School was almost over for the day. Slowly we tried to drag Kortlynn out of the room.
“Come on, Korky. Time to go. Just leave it.” I said with stifled laughed behind my voice.
“Yeah, come on,” Karlene said holding the door open. Chloe and I dragged Kortlynn to the door.
“But I want to get it open!” she complained.
I turned to her and said, “Kortlynn, you know if you weren’t smart, you’d be a delinquent.”
We started laughing out loud and managed to drag Kortlynn into the forum of the complex.
“Hey guys, remember that key?” she asked as we walked toward the doors.
Sure enough, on our way out of the arena we had spotted a small key lying in the corner of the arena.
“Yeah, what about it?” Chloe asked.
“Well what if it fits in the lock? We should go back and get it and see if it fits!”
“No, Kortlynn,” Karlene droned.
“Yeah, some of us have busses to catch you know.”
Kortlynn sighed.
“What did you want in there anyways?” Karlene asked.
“The pen...” Korky said questioningly.
“It’s just a pen.” I said.
“It was a fuzzy pen,” Kortlynn teased with a upset voice.
“Psh...” I said.
“Oh, God. Don’t tell me you collect pens,” Karlene shook her head.
“No... yes... well maybe.... ok, so I do! At least I don’t collect stamps.”
It was quiet for a minute.
“I....I collect stamps...” I stuttered out.

We all walked back to the school laughing our heads off.

And so began the tales of the Nerd-tastic adventures. Check in again soon, you never know when the nerds have added a new update to the journal. It may be tomorrow, it may be a week, who knows? But one thing’s for sure. It’s sure to be nerdy.

No comments:

Post a Comment